The fall 2022 anime season is already stacked up, and thanks to the latest Blue Lock anime announcement, it looks like even sports anime fans will be getting some love too.
The TV series Blue Lock is based on the Kodansha manga of the same name and will premiere in October 2022.
The television adaptation was announced on the official website in the summer of 2021 but there was no release date yet.
Now the official Twitter released a new major visual and promotional video, giving potential viewers a deeper look into the series. It featured clips straight from the anime and also announced additional cast members.
If the video is anything to enjoy, the series certainly seems to be getting intense, but you can take a look and decide for yourself:
What is the story of Blue Lock about?
If you’ve never read the Blue Lock manga, you might be wondering what the anime is about.
When translated from the official website, the synopsis reads:
If you’re not the best egotist in the world, you can’t be the best striker in the world.
To develop attackers who will lead Japan to the World Cup title, the Japanese Football Association has launched a plan. It’s called the “Blue Lock” project.
300 high school students were gathered. In addition, they are all forward. Who will be the striker who sacrifices the lives of 299 footballers and revolutionizes Japanese football?
Now the hottest and craziest football anime of all time is about to kick off!
With a synopsis like that, the stakes certainly sound pretty high!
Who is in the cast of Blue Lock?
With so many characters, fans shouldn’t have too much trouble finding a voice actor they recognize in the cast list.
Kazuki Ura will provide the voice of Yoichi Isagi, one of the main characters. He doesn’t have a comprehensive list of credits yet, so far only World’s End Harem has aired. He has several upcoming anime projects in the pipeline for 2022.
Meguru Bachira is voiced by Tasuku Kaito. His only other achievement to date is Ensemble Stars!!: Road to Show!!
Yūki Ono will play Rensuke Kunigami. He is known for his work on shows like Beastars Season 3 and The Devil is a Part-Timer! Season 2.
Finally, rounding out the main cast is Souma Saito as Hyōma Chigiri. Fans should recognize his voice from series like Haikyuu!! and Ace of the Diamond, two other popular sports anime franchises.
The supporting cast has also been announced, with a number of voice actors filling other popular roles:
- Masatomo Nakazawa (given) as Wataru Kuon.
- Yoshitsugu Matsuoka (Mob Psycho 100 Season 3) as Jingo Raichi.
- Shoya Chiba (Classroom from Elite Season 2) as Yudai Imamura.
- Shugo Nakamura (Zombie Land Saga) as Gin Gagamaru.
- Daishi Kajita (High School of the Dead) as Asahi Naruhaya.
- Ryūnosuke Watanuki (Mob Psycho 100) as Okuhito Iemon.
- Aoi Ichikawa (Darling in the Franxx) as Gurimu Igarashi.
- Kenichi Suzumura (Free!) as Ryosuke Kira.
- Hiroshi Kamiya (Attack on Titan) as Jinpachi Ego.
- Eri Yukimura (A Certain Magical Index III) as Anri Teieri.
Who is on Blue Lock’s anime staff?
In addition to the cast, the project’s staff has also been announced.
- Director – Tetsuaki Watanabe (Haikyuu!!)
- Assistant Director – Shunsuke Ishikawa (Sword Art Online: Alicization)
- Screenplay – Taku Kishimoto (Haikyuu!!)
- Main character designer – Yuu Shindou (Fruit Basket)
Studio Eight Bits will adapt the story written by Muneyuki Kaneshiro and illustrated by Yusuke Nomura.