As readers know, we enjoy the headlines on this site. But obviously, all of you too. As part of our year-end coverage, the Equity podcast team asked listeners to write a headline representing 2022 in technology. Listeners showed up, with the brutal, the real, and the holy-moly-yes-that-happened-this-year-how-could-you-forget.
Our recap of this shaky 12-month roller coaster is now live where you find podcasts. We got a ton of your answers in the episode, but some of them were so good that we feel like they deserve to be in their own story. So, buckle up and read on if you’re just in the mood for some tweet-sized recaps after a news cycle saga:
- “Mofos Unhinged” by Isa Watson, founder and CEO of Squad
- “We came, we saw, we did not conquer” by Snigdha Sur, founder and CEO of The Juggernaut.
- “Adrenal Fatigue and the Case Against Billionaires” by Martha Shaughnessy, founder of The Key PR.
- “Just put on a roller coaster gif and call it a day” by Tate Hackert, president and founder of Zayzoon.
- “whiplash” by Eric Bahn, co-founder and family physician at Hustle Fund VC.
- “Crypto burns just as well as paper money” by Madison Campbell, founder and CEO of Leda Health.
- “2022 is the year everything became a Rorschach test” by Phil Libin, the CEO and co-founder of All Turtles and Mmhmm.
- “Went fast and broke everything” by Pearl Tempest Consulting.
- “And You Thought Staying Home Was Worthless” by Morgan Oliveira, Food Entrepreneur.
- “Goblin modeby Samantha McGarry, an EVP at Inkhouse PR. How can we not give a moment for a word phrase that we have all, quite frankly, embodied over the past few months.
- “Be realistic about valuationsby Roger Johnson, a PR expert at Method. Johnson is also a fan of the Great British Baking Brouhaha, and is therefore always in our favour.
- “Fund a round and find out‘, by Dan Gray of Equidam. Fuck and explore has long been a handy phrase to keep in your pocket. This particular variant is very 2022.
- Alex Kondrad of Forbes had a similar opinionwith “2022: The Year That Fucked Around And Found Out.”
- “ goodbye to all thatby Chris Messina, known for creating the hashtag. Here, Messina brings together a vibe and the leading emoji of the year in one tweet. Nice.
- “Grimes’ ex-boyfriend becomes the leading Republicanby Paul Griffiths, an investor and general Twitter epicurean. While some people still pretend to be confused about Musk’s politics, Griffiths doesn’t circle around a bush.
- “The year men literally got away with everythingby Leslie Feinzaig, an investor and writer. She has a point.
- “Back to reality, oops, here comes gravityby Luba Lesiva, an investor and one of our favorite Twitter users. We are always here for the meeting point of venture capital and rap lyrics.
- And finally, “Crypto down, AI up, Biden exists, Twitter is a mess, all of the above are overratedby SoFriendly’s Justin Mitchell, who tried to sum up the whole year in a few words. Well done!
Mary Ann’s favourites:
- “Reversal to meaning. Average financing. Average interest rates. Average cost control. Mean bossesby Simon Taylor, self-proclaimed Fintech Geek
- “Let’s let ChatGPT choose the headline for 2022…by Shannon K. Wilsey, VC, healthcare communications.
- “Only when the tide is out do you find out who has been swimming nakedby Gregg Wallace (quoting Warren Buffet), VC, Building Ventures
- “Abracadabra: smoke and mirrors are goneby Kim Hong,
- “2022, a return to the United States of WTF?!?by Dan Taylor, writer, Tech.Eu
- ‘The shit show of 2022by Jodi Echakowitz, CEO of Boulevard PR
- “Revaluation nationby Kelly Soderlund, Sr. Director of Comms at TripActions
- “Goblin modeby Grit Daily News executive editor Jordan French
- “damnby Karl Deeter, founder of Online Application