Every house is not complete without the use of concrete.
In general, concrete used both indoors and out can come in many different shapes to create a specific look or to match certain weather conditions. From concrete walls to floors to counter tops to patios to driveways, concrete surfaces have different properties.
A common feature of all concrete is that it is porous and therefore prone to exposure and damage. a sustainable concrete sealer helps protect concrete from damage and extends life.
Types of Concrete Sealers:
- Topical sealers: Positioned on the concrete surface to form a protective shield or protective layer, these types of sealants are suitable for both exterior and interior applications.
- penetrating sealers: True to the name, these sealers penetrate the concrete, forming a complex and durable protective barrier against moisture.
- Integral Sealers: These are almost the same as topical sealers, but are added to the concrete mix before it leaves the plant and are very effective at sealing immediately.
Advantages of a concrete sealer:
- Limits mold: Because concrete is porous, it absorbs moisture. This moisture, when left for extended hours, can form a fungus which in turn can cause a green discoloration of the concrete surface called algae growth. A durable concrete sealer is very beneficial because it excludes moisture and thus prevents mold and mildew growth, thus preserving quality.
- Improves stability: Regular concrete problems such as limescale, cracks, etc. will undoubtedly plague the exterior concrete when exposed to external elements. A durable concrete sealer helps prevent this damage by protecting the surface, increasing stability and strength.
- Extends the lifespan: A durable concrete sealer can add up to 30 years of life to your average concrete surface. It protects the concrete not only from the harsh sun and weather, but also from physical wear and tear.
- Protection against damage: With a durable concrete sealer, your concrete will be protected from stains, oil stains, ultraviolet rays, water damage and other elements that can damage it. Prevention of chlorides and water helps minimize freeze-thaw damage.
- Restores color: Exposure to outside elements can make your concrete grubby and discolored. A concrete sealer not only helps to keep the color intact, but also gives it a cleaner and sharper appearance.
- Easy to apply: Whatever type of concrete sealer you choose, you can easily apply it yourself with a simple garden sprayer without additional professional help.
How to choose the effective concrete sealer for your home?
For exterior floors, water-based concrete sealants that fuse in the recoating process and chemically provide a high-gloss finish are the best choice. It protects the surface indefinitely and ultimately saves you time.
However, with water-based acrylic sealers, you can run into problems with delamination if you want to recoat them in the future. In that case, an acrylic hybrid sealer is a good choice. It is paintable, inexpensive and can be used on decorative or brushed floors.
However, as it is only available in a matte finish, it becomes cloudy with a thick layer and can therefore only be applied to thinner surfaces.
From concrete tables, fire pits, chairs, benches and tables to outdoor kitchens, benches and sea walls, almost all luxury furniture today is made of concrete.
An inexpensive silicone-acrylic hybrid sealer with a low VOC is most favored for concrete furniture. It makes the surface easier to clean or maintain and protects against stains. It also gives them a natural look and also gives it a smooth, silky feel.
All of the above concrete sealants can be used indoors. However, as indoor recoating is nearly impossible, you should opt for a water-based, non-flammable and durable concrete sealer with high abrasion resistance and low outgassing; preferably one with a high gloss or matte finish and polyurethane coating.
Concrete sealants are both affordable and easy to maintain† It helps maintain the beauty of a decorative concrete surface and saves you the cost of replacing it from time to time.
Zac Ferry is a highly accomplished writer, blogger, and social media promoter by providing valuable information that helps readers better understand topics and help create ideas.