Police are looking for another man after a nine-year-old girl was injured in a drive-by shooting in Sydney’s south.

One man has already been taken into custody in connection with the shooting, but Chief Inspector Grant Taylor said at least one other was involved and is now “free”.

Emergency services rushed to a house on Queens Road, Connells Point after reports of five bullets fired around 5:50 p.m. Friday.

Nine-year-old girl shot dead in south Sydney
The little girl was taken to hospital in stable condition. (9News)

Police began providing first aid to a nine-year-old girl before paramedics arrived.

She was taken to Sydney Children’s Hospital in Randwick with injuries to her buttocks in stable condition.

Taylor said the girl was unpacking groceries from the car with her mother and two siblings when a black BMW stationary nearby hit a man and fired several shots at the family.

The mother and two other children were unharmed.

Chief Inspector Grant Taylor talks about shootings in public places in Connells Point.
Chief Inspector Grant Taylor talks about shootings in public places in Connells Point. (9News)

“What we will say is that this, that property, was definitely the intended target. A person in that property is known to us. Whether the children were the intended target is not yet known,” Taylor added.

There was also a drive-by shooting on the same street in November last year. Taylor said police are investigating whether the two are related.

“It’s too early to tell if it’s enough to say there’s an ongoing dispute or altercation,” Taylor said.

Taylor said the perpetrators had nothing to do with bicycles, but had ties to organized crime.

“This incident has nothing to do with the recent activity or shootings that Task Force Erebus is investigating,” Taylor said.

“It is connected to criminal networks known to us.”

Nine-year-old girl shot dead in south Sydney
The police are investigating on the spot. (9News)

Police conducted targeted vehicle stops and searches of known members and employees of organized crime networks.

A 34-year-old man was found in Neville Street, Oatley, around 7:15 p.m. last night, and was arrested.

He was taken to the St. George Police Station, where he was charged with one count of being shot with intent to murder.

The man has been refused bail and is due to appear in court today.

A stolen red Mini Cooper was found parked on Annette Street, Oatley, and Taylor said it had been parked there for several days.

A stolen black BMW, the car seen driving to the house prior to the shooting, was found burnt out on Annette Street.

Anyone with information can contact Crime Stoppers at 1800 333 000.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here