Anna Shaffer is a British actress, who first rose to prominence when she was cast for a small role in the movie “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince”, and rose to popularity by playing the character of Triss Merigold in the Netflix series ‘The Witcher’.
Early life and family
Anna Shaffer was born on March 15, 1992 in London, England; her mother’s name is Maggie Barth, but her father’s name has not been revealed. She has a younger brother named Josh. Based on her posts on her Instagram account, she clearly has a deep affection for her family but not much is revealed about them and her early life except that she shared on her Instagram account that she was raised politically not religiously by her parents while encouraging people to vote in December 2019.
She also said that “I am a South African Jew, my mother from black farmland and my father from inner city Jewish.” as she explained where she comes from, when she talked about her political views.
There is no information available about her basic education. She was present secondary school (Year 7-Year 11) at Highgate Wood School in Crouch End, London Borough of Haringey. She then attended Camden School for Girls in Camden, London for her sixth form to complete her secondary education (Year 12-Year 13).
Anna had a great start to her acting career as her first project was in the highly successful film franchise “Harry Potter”.
She became known to the international audience when she was cast in December 2007 at the age of 15 in the small but memorable role of Romilda Vane, the fourth-year student of House Gryffindor, who tried to use a love potion on the main character, Harry Potter, played by Daniel Radcliffe in “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.” Filming of the movie began on September 24, 2007 and was released worldwide on July 15, 2009, grossing nearly $950 million.
She reprized the role of Romilda Vane in the last two films of the “Harry Potter” franchise, “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows – Part 1” in 2010 and “–Part 2” in 2011, with worldwide grosses of over $950 million and nearly $1.5 billion, respectively.
After her successful big screen debut, she was cast in the role of Ruby Dixon in the award-winning British soap opera ‘Hollyoaks’ when she was 18 years old. It was said that she auditioned for the role of Leanne Holiday, but was instead cast as Ruby Button, whose character was manipulative, rebellious and a bully. She was in 238 episodes from 2011 to 2014. She was nominated for “sexiest woman” at The British Soap Awards in 2013. In a 2013 interview with ‘Digital Spy’ she said the following about her departure from the series: ‘I’ve enjoyed my time at Hollyoaks and playing Ruby but I’m just itchy. feet and I want a new, fresh start.’ She also missed London, her parents and her brother since moving to Liverpool for filming, adding: “I am ready for a change but I will be very sad to leave.”
Anna reprized her role in 2017 and 2018 for a guest appearance in four episodes, allowing her fans to see her back in the BBC soap after three years.
In 2014, she starred in an episode of the drama series ‘Glue’ and in 2016, she came across another minor role when she was cast for two episodes as Rachel Chapman, the main character’s girlfriend, in the British science fiction drama ‘Class’, a spin -off of the ‘Doctor Who’ series. In 2017, she starred in four episodes of the BBC crime thriller drama series ‘Fearless’ also in a minor role. She starred in the 2018 action movie ‘I Am Vengeance’ but only got a 38% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Anna was also cast for the titular role in the comedy play ‘Daisy Pulls It Off’ which premiered on December 5, 2017 at the Park Theater in Outer London, which ran until January 13, 2018.
Shaffer was cast in the supporting role of Triss Merigold in the American fantasy drama series ‘The Witcher’, which was based on the book series of the same name by Polish author Andrzej Sapkowski. Season 1 of the eight-episode series was released in its entirety on Netflix on December 20, 2019. Before it premiered, it was announced that Netflix had already ordered season 2 with eight episodes. The series starring Henry Cavill, Freya Allan and Anya Chalotra was a success, ranking second in the most popular series of 2019, behind ‘Stranger Things’, according to Netflix.
Anna starred in three episodes in the first season – her character, Triss, was a sorceress who had a crush on and was a friend of Henry Cavill’s character, Geralt. Fans were curious if her character would be based on the book or on CD Projekt Red’s “The Witcher” game series, as Triss was more of a major character in the RPG (Role-Playing Game) version than in the book. In Season 1, the character leaned more towards the book version.
The show began production on Season 2 in London in early 2020 and was set to release in 2021, but production was halted due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Anna Shaffer is 28 years old and is currently dating Jimmy Stephenson, actually since July 18, 2015. You just had to look at their posts on their respective Instagram accounts to see what kind of relationship they are in. On his account, he greeted Anna on her birthday and wrote “Happy Birthday to my best friend and beautiful wife. I hope you enjoy me half as much as I love you… I love you so much, on many more adventures…” Her birthday greeting to him was posted to her account and said, “Happy birthday , magic man. You fill me to the brim… Thank God for you, the ashes of my being.
Interesting rumors and facts
- When she was a child, she religiously watched the British children’s television drama series, ‘The Story of Tracy Beaker’.
- She liked to play Gameboys and PlayStation after school
- In an interview on YouTube’s “Road to Rowling” posted in March 2020, she said she had read the “Harry Potter” books and her favorite was “The Prisoner of Azkaban” because she had a huge crush on Sirius Black, who had that kind of bad boy vibes. However, she had never met Gary Oldman, who played the part in the movie.
- She took home her tie from her costume in ‘Harry Potter’.
- She appeared in the 2012 music video for the Warehouse Republic song “YDEK”.
- Her biggest challenge during filming was that she couldn’t cry during dramatic scenes, and she and her director in “Hollyoaks” had to use some tricks to produce tears.
- On her last day on the set of “Hollyoaks” in 2014, she took on the singing challenge of the production and parted ways with the cast and crew of the television series.
- A weekly British magazine, ‘Inside Soap’, conducted a poll in August 2011 on which of the ‘Hollyoaks’ characters readers wanted killed by the series’ serial killer, and her character Ruby came second with 21 per cent.
- In September 2018, she posted on her Twitter account that she had been sexually assaulted while on a tube to London’s Knightsbridge station. She claimed that a man tried to put his hand in her underwear in the crowded carriage, and she was frightened. A female passenger helped her by yelling at the man to stop and he did. With the help of Transport for London staff, she was able to report the incident to the police.
Anna has curly brown hair and brown eyes. She is 1.7m tall, weighs about 61kg and her vital statistics are 34-26-34. She is wearing a size four dress and her shoe size is 8.5.
Wealth and salary
She started working as a teenager for small roles in films and television, and was a regular cast member in ‘Hollyoaks’. She also worked in a theater play. Her most recent project was a supporting role in ‘The Witcher’. How much she earned on these projects was not revealed, but sources estimated her net value $1 million as of early 2020.