Play the investor perspective before pitching
Pitches should be given from the investor’s perspective.
These things are too often forgotten
- It is the investor’s job to achieve a financial return for his investors.
- They get thousands of places a year. This means that they are distracted and also that they have probably already heard a similar tone to yours.
Put on your investor hat
- Did you quickly grasp the value?
- Has it activated your greed? I know that sounds superficial and horrible, but…
- Does it make you feel like “This is just like Company X and Company Y”, or can you name one or two points that make this a unique opportunity?
- Can you imagine the coming years of development and do you think it is possible?
Role play with others
- Try this with others. Maybe other founders or people on your team. Especially people who are not industry experts.
- Imagine taking out a new mortgage on your house or selling your car to get a share of this business. Which also feels like taking pain and taking a risk. Would you invest?