Amazon Prime Day is the second best time of the year to buy smart home gadgets at great prices. While Black Friday and its various offshoots traditionally have deeper discounts and wider product options, Prime Day strategically located on the calendar feels like an ideal buying season for those invested in the smart home. This is especially true if you’re looking for bargains on Amazon Alexa devices or compatible gadgets.
This year there are some great deals to be found for Prime members on July 12 and 13 on everything from smart thermostats and smart locks to security cameras and smart lighting. Plus, if there’s a room in your house that still doesn’t have one, it’s a great time to stock up on a few more Echo speakers.
Here are my picks for the best smart home tech deals for Amazon’s 2022 Prime Day.
The best deals on mesh WiFi routers
If you have a smart home, good WiFi is essential, and a mesh router is often the best solution to all the connectivity issues your gadgets have.
- If you don’t need that much speed (or don’t have devices that can take advantage of the 6GHz band), you can save $105 on the equally capable Eero 6 Plus Dual Band Mesh WiFi 6 Systemwhich can handle speeds up to a gigabit and sells for $194 for a three pack (normally $299).
- Surprisingly, the Google Nest Wifi Mesh System also sees a Prime Day discount; you can pick up a two-pack of the routers for $141.55, a 53 percent savings. Amazon is one of the few places where you’ll find a two-pack of just the routers, which, unlike the “points” in the Google Nest Wifi system, don’t double as smart speakers with Google Assistant. However, the dual-band Wi-Fi 5 routers are the most capable devices in the system, with two Ethernet ports and Thread radios. You can string two or three together to extend WiFi throughout your home. Read our review of the Google Nest Wifi†
The best deals on smart speakers
Since it is an Amazon sale, you will find many deals on Amazon Echo devices. For a full list, check out our roundup of the best Prime Day deals on Amazon devices† but if you are looking for a new smart speaker and/or display then i suggest you buy a fourth generation Echo smart speaker or Echo Show 8 smart display.
- The Echo Show 8 (second generation) is the best Alexa smart display and is on sale for $74.99 ($55 off), a new record low. It’s small enough to fit on a counter or mantel, but big enough to be handy – you can easily watch a YouTube video through it or view your security camera through it. It also has decent speakers and the 13-megapixel camera makes for a good video calling device. Read our review†
- The fourth generation Echo is my favorite Amazon smart speaker as it doubles as a smart home hub and will be a Matter controller and Thread boundary router when the new smart home standard arrives later this year. Now $59.99 saves you $40 on the impressive speaker, which offers excellent sound and an attractive spherical design. Read our review†
- The innovative wall mounting Echo Show 15 is currently getting a $70 price cut, bringing it down to $179.99 — a decent price for this multitasking digital bulletin board that doubles as a small TV, with support for Live TV via Sling TV and Hulu with Live TV. It also makes a good addition to a video doorbell or security camera, as it can automatically show a live feed when someone presses your doorbell or activates the motion sensor. Read my full review†
The best deals on smart security cameras
- Our top picks for the best floodlight camera, the Eufy Security Floodlight Cam 2 Pro, retails for $199.99, down from $299.99. It’s not an eye-catcher, but it will do a very good job of keeping an eye on your property.
- Aqara’s Camera Hub G3 — a smart home hub and indoor security camera in one — retails for $79.99 ($30 off). This is a good price for an excellent pan and tilt camera that works with Amazon Alexa, Google Home and Apple HomeKit (including HomeKit Secure Bideo) and can serve as a hub for a wide range of useful Aqara smart home gadgets†
- Amazon-owned security camera system Blink gets a huge discount, with the Blink Outdoor 3 camera kit in store for $125 off. For just $124.99 you can set up a complete surveillance system in your home, if you want. These AA battery powered cameras don’t deliver the best audio and video quality, but they are highly versatile, lasting up to two years on a single set of batteries. If you’re a Blink synchronization module 2 and a USB flash drive, you can also get local storage – so you don’t have to pay cloud storage fees.
- The indoor version of Blink’s camera now also gets a decent discount, with the wireless Blink Indoor kit with three cameras retails for $113.99 instead of $189.99.
- If you want better video quality and wider smart home compatibility and are willing to spend a little more, the EufyCam 2 Pro Wireless Security Camera System dropped to $240 from $369.99 for a two-pack. These outdoor cameras offer person detection, work with Alexa, HomeKit and Google Home and last a full year on a single charge. No subscription costs thanks to the included HomeBase 2 for storing your recordings locally.
The best deals on smart video doorbells
- Blink offers a very good deal on its Blink Video Doorbell Full System, my pick for the best budget video doorbell. It sells for just $50.98 (normally $85). The entire system comes with a Sync Module 2 for local video storage, and if you can hook this battery-operated doorbell onto the doorbell wires, it will ring your indoor bell too.
- The Ring Video Doorbell 4The company’s flagship battery-powered doorbell, our top pick for a wireless video doorbell, retails now for $169.99 ($50 off).
- If you want a battery powered doorbell that can see everything at your front door, top to bottom and left to right, Eufy Dual with HomeBase dropped to $179.99 from $259.99. The trick of this doorbell is to have two cameras, one pointing down on the floor and the other pointing towards the visitor. read my full review of the Eufy Dual†
- The excellent, albeit aging, Google Nest doorbell (wired) gets a $81 price drop for Prime Day, and you can pick up this wired video doorbell for $148. It’s the only video doorbell that can record 24/7 (at a subscription price), and it makes my list of the best video doorbells.
The best smart robot vacuum cleaner deals
The best smart thermostat deals
- Amazon is cheap Smart Thermostat, which does almost everything its higher-end competitors can, is at a new low for Prime Day, selling for just $41.99. Using a feature called Hunches to control your climate, the thermostat can intelligently schedule you and determine if you’re out of the house and set it back a few degrees to save some energy. Read my review†
- The new Google Nest Thermostatwhich is not as good as the old one Google Nest Learning Thermostat but is a lot cheaper and a good option for Google Home households, also sees a Prime Day discount. Right now you can pick it up for $89.99 instead of $129.99. Read our review†
Other great deals on smarthome gear
- The excellent and reliable fourth generation august Wi-Fi smart lock dropped to $149.99 (usually $229). It will get through quite expensive batteries at a rapid pace, so factor in those costs for those savings.
- One of the best smart lighting systems, Philips Hue offers a lot on a set of its white and colored led smart bulbs, which work with or without Hue Bridge. A three-pack is on sale now for $79.99, down from $134.99, a savings of more than 40 percent.
- Another good option for smart lighting is the Kasa Smart outdoor dimmer plug, which is currently selling for $16.99 with the coupon on the page (normally $30). One of the few outdoor lights that also dims, it’s a great option for adding smart things to outdoor lighting like string lights.
- The new Aqara Curtain Driver E1 — which turns your curtains into automated smart window treatments — is discounted 20 percent today, cutting the price of the track and rod versions respectfully to $71.99 and $79.99.
- Furbo’s new rotary 360-degree dog camera retails for just $147, down from $210, if you need a treat-throwing, panning camera that can track your pet and snap selfies for you when he or she faces the camera.