Welcome to TNW Basisa collection of tips, guides, and advice on how to easily get the most out of your gadgets, apps, and more.
If you’re a daily Google Docs user, you already know that the word editor has gotten better and better over the years. Especially in 2022, Google has added quite a few extra features that will surely make your life easier.
So if you’re one of those users who find it hard to keep up to date with what’s new all the time, look no further. Here are this year’s updates you shouldn’t miss:
1. Emoji Reaction
For those times when words fail you (or when you’re too lazy to type), Docs lets you respond to text with a simple emoji, rather than a full-written comment.
- Highlight the word, phrase, or paragraph you want.
- Click the emoji icon on the right (below the comment icon).
- Choose the emoji from the displayed list.
2. Pageless Format
Sometimes you need to cut out annoying page breaks, especially if you want to insert wide tables or images. You can set your document to pageless so that it scrolls continuously without page breaks, making it easier to read and print.
- Go to File and select Page Settings.
- At the top of the dialog, select Pageless.
- Click Okay to confirm.
3. Table Templates
Hate creating tables from scratch? I understand your pain. Instead, you can choose one of the four tables available – they don’t offer much variety, but the feature can be very useful for monitoring work progress and product development.
- click on Insert > Table > Table templates.
- Choose between Product Roadmap, Review Tracker, Project Assets and Launch Content Tracker.
Drop-down lists are useful tools when entering data. They provide the choice of input without causing a mess in the document, and you can use them to select a status for a project, answer a question, choose a location – you name it.
Google Docs offers both preset and custom drop-down menus to fit any document.
- Select where you want the drop-down list. You can place it anywhere in the text or in a table.
- click on Insert > Drop.
- Choose between Presets drop-down list to insert the Project status or Assessment status menus.
- To elect New drop-down list to create a custom list. You can name it, add items and choose colors for each of them. Click Save when you’re done.
5. Add a summary
Summarizing your document and pointing out key points saves both time and labor.
- click on Vision > Show overview. A text box will appear on the left. Click the + icon to type your summary. Press Enter to save it. To edit at any point, hover your cursor over it and click the Edit Summary icon (pencil).
Try these features and thank me later!